Sunday, June 28, 2009

Ahoy Capt'n, first mate & scoundrels




It's official: The boating season has begun. Most notably, Larry and I made the maiden voyage to Catalina Island with our entire family of four.

We had put it off for so long, mostly because I was a little hesitant to have both kids on the water. After having the boat out of the water for ten days, overhauling the engines, cleaning all the carpets, getting new bottom paint, installing a new radio, putting on new lines and having a few practice sleepovers, I had run out of excuses.

We chose to stay just one night, even though I had packed enough food and clothing for the girls to stay for five days. We gave Cooper to Camp Wilcox for the evening and meant to outfit the boat the night before to make for a quicker & smoother departure. That didn't happen, so we chose to leave early to get a good start with calm seas. That didn't happen either. Such is life with two kids two years old and under.

The boat ran beautifully, and the seas were slightly choppy. Quinn fell asleep on my lap almost immediately, but Shea held her hands over her ears and let us know that it was "Too loud!" and "Too fast!" Larry slowed down to 21 knots or so, and we took the slow, comfortable crossing. After all, we wanted her to want to come again.

For this voyage, we tied the Achilles dinghy up on the lower cockpit. Not the easiest, quickest or most comfortable option, but it worked great. Next on the wishlist: Davits. After that, we need to change the boat name, because it doesn't really suit us. I digress...

The radio worked great. The new GPS & radar hadn't been installed yet, so we used my handheld GPS combined with the Navionics program on my iPhone. The Navionics program was the easiest to view & use, and worked like a charm!

Upon our arrival at the isthmus, Larry single-handedly brought in the mooring can because I was holding two sleeping kids. The nightly fee is $28- not too bad.

We had a great time playing on the beach, and Shea discovered Tucker Playground. That was the ticket. After that, she was hooked on Catalina.

In the evening we ate at the Reef restaurant, which we quickly determined was a terrible idea with the two little ones that day. They were too hungry, loud and impatient for us to enjoy ordering a meal that would take a while to prepare. We let the girls finish their meals, and ended up getting the rest of our food to go and enjoyed a nice time on the boat. We did see our catamaran friends from our dock dining in the restaurant. Also, it was the annual Yacht Dog show, and Shea was thrilled beyond thrilled with all the dogs to pet. "May I pet your dog?" then: "I love him." Onto the next dog. "May I pet your dog?" "I love him." Over and over again.




The kids went to bed a little late, but Larry and I were able to open up a very nice bottle of Liquid Love and look out at the stars and all of the boats for a little Transom Talk. That's what I call our semi-date night, when the kids are down and we're able to enjoy a little quiet adult time in the lower cockpit. Transom Talk.

Larry fell asleep sitting upright while I finished up watching the water taxi and dinghies laze around the harbor in the evening. Below decks, we found out the safest way to sleep is with Q & me in the midship cabin because it's lower to the ground. If (when) Quinn crawls over me to get out, she won't have far to tumble. Larry and Shea sleep in the V-berth. Some day Q & Shea will be able to sleep together in their berth, but that day has not yet come. We tried switching it around, with me sleeping next to Q in the tent in the V-berth, but once again, she is not her sister. She refused the tent. When I woke up once in Shoreline Village and caught her trying to climb over me, I realized the chance of a three foot fall isn't worth it. So we switched.

The sleep was fantastic, and there's nothing like waking up on the water. We skipped the elaborate breakfast in the galley I had planned for us and opted for Cheerios instead. We dropped the hauser around ten a.m. and headed back home for a gorgeous day in Shoreline Village.

All in all, it was a fantastic maiden voyage to the island with the entire family of four.


Shea put it perfectly: "I miss Kaweeena."






No comments:

Post a Comment